3.27.2007

New York City

I went to New York City this past weekend with Eric and his family. I didn't have a bad time there, but this trip reaffirmed my general feels towards big metropolitan areas. I'd much rather spend my time out doing something physical like hiking, the beach, or playing sports than walking around a city.

That said, I also like going to museums which seems to have some similarities to walking around a city, but I just don't have as much fun when it's a city. This got me wondering why this is the case, and I think I've got at least part of the answer. I think what happens when I'm walking around in a city is sensory overload and I loose focus. My visual perception is polluted by hundreds of advertisements per block, hearing is polluted by the honking taxis, and then there are the smells...

Downtown Boston has less sensory overload than downtown New York, and I think that is why I enjoy Boston more. I lived in downtown Milwaukee and while it's much less busy I did manage to become completely accustom to that atmosphere. I have no doubt I could adjust to living in New York, but I don't have a reason to put a bunch of effort into it.

Anyways here are some photos from my trip...

Grand Central Station

Time Square

World Trade Center

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home